Each year the Wisconsin Society for Ornithology hosts the Honey Creek Birdathon/Bandathon fundraising event for the Harold and Carla Kruse Honey Creek Nature Preserve. This fundraiser helps preserve and manage this unique 372-acre property that WSO has owned since 1960. Proceeds help fund invasive species control, fence repair, as well as maintenance and property taxes on the site’s Cox Nature Center.
Save the date! Incredible opportunity to view rock-star birds and preserve their habitat!
What: 2019 Honey Creek Birdathon and Bandathon
Where: Harold and Carla Kruse Honey Creek Nature Preserve, Alder Dr, Loganville, WI 53943
When: Sunday, May 19, 2019 at 8 am
Why: To raise funds for restoring and preserving the Honey Creek Nature Preserve
Honey Creek is designated a State Natural Area and provides habitat for some of the state's rarest and most beautiful birds, such as Louisiana Waterthrush, Cerulean Warbler, and Acadian Flycatcher. The WSO owns and maintains this property. The Honey Creek Birdathon/Bandathon is the primary source of funding for maintenance of the preserve property. Our goal is to raise $10,000 for the removal of invasive species and maintenance of trails and the Cox Nature Center.
Your past support has allowed WSO to replace and extend the boardwalk on its trail up the valley and to hire crews to scout and treat garlic mustard and Japanese knotweed. Donations have paid for mending fences after the spring floods, trail rehabilitation, property taxes, electricity and insurance on the Cox Nature Center, as well as liability insurance.
- Go on a bird walk led by Tom Schultz and Jeff Baughman starting at 8 a.m. (although early birding will likely begin around 4:00 AM.) NOTE: During the hike, the shallow creek needs to be crossed on stepping stones, so consider wearing tall boots.
- View bird-banding by Professor Anna Pidgeon NOTE: Banding canceled if rains heavily
- Explore a beautiful piece of land no matter what the weather
- Meet and network with other birders/nature enthusiasts
- Camping is available at Honey Creek on Saturday night
Please dress appropriately with sturdy footgear, etc. There are restroom facilities and shelter for use in case of inclement weather. WE HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE! For more information about Honey Creek, go to this web page: https://wsobirds.org/about-wso/honey-creek-preserve