This year marks the mid-point of the Wisconsin Breeding Bird Atlas II, a critical year for ensuring we’re on track to complete this monumental effort by 2019. Help us get 2017 off to a dynamic start by joining us at one (or more!) of our FREE Atlas Regional Kickoff workshops.
These events are for everyone, whether you’re a newer member of the Atlas team, a seasoned veteran, or just want to learn more about how to join us in 2017. Each workshop will feature concurrent presentations tailored to new and returning atlasers, the opportunity to meet county coordinators and expert birders from your region, and a field trip to a local hotspot.
Regional Kickoff Workshop Locations & Dates
Southwest - March 25, 12:30 p.m.–6 p.m.
Kickapoo Valley Reserve / Vernon County
S3661 WI-131, La Farge, WI 54639
*optional nocturnal field trip 7–9 p.m.: owls and woodcock, Kickapoo Valley Reserve
Northwest - April 1, 10 a.m.–3:30 p.m.
Rice Lake Public Library / Barron County
2 E Marshall St, Rice Lake, WI 54868
*optional morning field trip 7–9:30 a.m.: spring waterfowl, Rice Lake
Northeast - April 8, noon–5:30 p.m.
UW-Green Bay / Brown County
2420 Nicolet Dr, Green Bay, WI 54311
(Meet at the General Access Computer Lab, next to the Environmental Sciences building. Park in the Laboratory Sciences parking lot and look for signage directing you to the computer lab. Every participant will receive more detailed directions and a campus map via email before the event.)
*optional nocturnal field trip 6:30–9 p.m.: owls, woodcock and snipe, Southern Door County
Southeast - April 29, 11:30 a.m.–5 p.m.
Kenosha Public Library Northside/ Kenosha County
1500 27th Ave, Kenosha, WI 53140
*optional nocturnal field trip 6:30–9 p.m.: owls and marshbirds, Racine & Kenosha Counties
- Field trips
- Atlas results to date
- Focus areas and goals for 2017
- Basic training for new atlasers
- Advanced training for returning atlasers
- Data-entry instruction
- Tips from your region’s top atlasers
- Chance to meet county coordinators, Atlas planners, and other atlasers from your area
The Atlas Regional Kickoff Events are FREE, but registration is required. Sign up today by filling out our Regional Kickoff Registration Form.
While each individual workshop will feature slightly different material tailored to each region, the following agenda will be used at all four events.
- Intro and recognition of local atlasers
- Results years 1 & 2
- Local outlook for remainder of project
- County coordinator / local birding expert guest talk
15 minute break
- Intro to atlasing
- Strategies for successful atlasing
- Confusing protocols (overview)
- Tricky codes
- Nocturnal atlasing
- Confusing protocols (in depth)
15 minute break
- Expert Q&A panel
- eBird workshop/tutorial
What to bring
- Personal laptop/tablet, or mobile for data entry session (if you have one)
- Your own food and drink for the day
- A friend! We want to add 300 new atlasers this year and you can help us do it.
- Binoculars/field clothes/boots, plus headlamp if attending a nocturnal field trip