- Green Passenger Pigeon - recognizes outstanding contributions to bird conservation in Wisconsin.
- Bronze Passenger Pigeon - presented to individuals who have made outstanding contributions in their local communities or in the state to promote the field of ornithology.
- Golden Passenger Pigeon – presented to individuals who have made outstanding contributions to the field of ornithology.
- Silver Passenger Pigeon – presented to members of WSO for distinguished service to the Society.
- Certificate of Achievement - given to previous recipients of the Silver Passenger Pigeon who continue to provide exceptional service to the WSO.
- Samuel D. Robbins Lifetime Achievement – honors people who actively contribute to the Wisconsin Society for Ornithology above and beyond their having previously received the Silver Passenger Pigeon Award.
WSO is actively seeking suggestions for award recipients. You can send an e-mail to email@example.com to make a suggestion.
Green Passenger Pigeon
The Green Passenger Pigeon was initiated in 2005. It recognizes outstanding contributions to bird conservation in Wisconsin. Recipients may be an individual/group/organization that made contributions in the following:
- working on behalf of endangered, threatened, and/or common species
- promoting the establishment, management, and protection of bird habitat
- educating the public on bird conservation issues
|WDNR Bureau of Endangered Resources||2007|
|International Crane Foundation||2005|
Bronze Passenger Pigeon Award
The Bronze Passenger Pigeon award was initiated in 1994. This award is presented to individuals who have made outstanding contributions in their local communities or in the state to promote the field of ornithology. The contributions may be through teaching (all levels); through conservation work (protection, preservation, restoration of habitat, etc.); or through organizational efforts (forming bird clubs or other groups which further ornithology).
|Roy and Charlotte Lukes||2010|
|Ty and Ida Baumann||2009|
|Karen and Jerry Smith||2008|
|Karen Etter Hale||2004|
|Roy and Charlotte Lukes||1999|
|John L Kaspar||1996|
|Charles R Sindelar||1996|
|Daniel D Berger||1994|
|Mrs Webster (Winnie) Woodmansee||1994|
Golden Passenger Pigeon Award
The Golden Passenger Pigeon award was initiated in 1939. It is presented to individuals who have made outstanding contributions to the field of ornithology.
|Thomas R Schultz||2001|
|Stanley A Temple||1989|
|Samuel D Robbins||1974|
|John T Emlen||1967|
|Joseph J Hickey||1966|
|Dr Joel Carl Welty||1964|
|Wallace B Grange||1950|
|Leon J Cole||1942|
|Hartley H T Jackson||1942|
|A W Schorger||1941|
|Herbert L Stoddard Sr||1940|
The Silver Passenger Pigeon award was initiated in 1964. Presented to members of the WSO for “Distinguished Service” to the Society.
|Don Reel and Christine Reel||2009|
|Bettie R Harriman||1998|
|Margie Amato and Mark Amato||1996|
|Thomas R Schultz||1994|
|Allen K Shea||1994|
|Kenneth I Lange||1993|
|Stanley A Temple||1993|
|John H Idzikowski||1992|
|Stephen J Lang||1992|
|Mark S Peterson||1992|
|Thomas K Soulen||1992|
|J J Peartree||1987|
|Roy Lukes and Charlotte Lukes||1984|
|Mr Hal Roberts and Mrs (Nancy) Roberts||1977|
|Mr Earl Schmidt and Mrs (Norma) Schmidt||1976|
|Elmer W Strehlow||1976|
|Dr Fred Baumgartner and Marguerite Baumgartner||1975|
|Dr Donald Kindschi||1975|
|Wilbur D Brown||1973|
|Mr Arthur Gauerke and Mrs (Lucy) Gauerke||1972|
|Charles E Nelson||1969|
|Mr David Cox and Mrs (Hazel) Cox||1967|
|Mr Al Holz and Mrs (Phyllis) Holz||1967|
|Dr Howard Young||1967|
|Harold A Bauers||1966|
|Dr Fred Hamerstrom and Mrs (Fran) Hamerstrom||1966|
|Harold G Liebherr||1966|
|Stanley L Polachek||1966|
|Judge J Allen Simpson||1966|
|J Harwood Evans||1965|
|Carl P Frister||1965|
|Dr Charles A Kemper||1965|
|Norval R Barger||1964|
|Mr Harold Kruse and Mrs (Carla) Kruse||1964|
|Rev Samuel D Robbins||1964|
|Walter E Scott||1964|
|Dr Harry Steenbock||1964|
|Mrs R A Walker||1964|
Top of page–x–
Certificate of Achievement
The Certificate of Achievement was initiated in 1981. It is presented to recipients of the Silver Passenger Pigeon award who continue to provide exceptional service to the WSO.
|Norval R Barger||1994|
|Samuel D Robbins Jr||1993|
|Carl G Hayssen Jr||1992|
|Dr Howard Young||1992|
Samuel D. Robbins Lifetime Achievement Award
The Samuel D. Robbins Lifetime Achievement award was initiated in 2000. Honors those people who actively contribute to the Wisconsin Society for Ornithology above and beyond their having previously received the Silver Passenger Pigeon Award (for service to WSO) and the WSO Certificate of Appreciation (for continued service to WSO).
|Charles A Kemper||2004|